Monday, May 20, 2013

The Gift of Space

This is the gift of my day.....

It is so simple.  A fish and veg stir fry homemade by our neighbors.  


The past few weeks I have done nothing to give myself space.  Instead I have played a game of "I should...." and felt guilty when I do not follow through.  Until one fine evening when Jeremie casually mentioned that "I should have gone to do the radio show...."


You know, when we first step on our yoga mat we almost treat it as though it is a barrier, like we need to stay within the confines of the rubber material and that the moment we step into a pose, that is where we must remain.  We crowd ourselves, limiting our ability to feel it, limiting our ability to reach the potential that comes from these movements; mostly because we forget that we have the time to move and create our space.  Because yoga, like life, is a pulsation, and a constant conversation.  

Our body will start to give us warning signs that will be telling us to create a bit of movement,  which can put us in the awkward predicament of not wanting to draw attention from other students or the teacher so that we can just get through this damn class.  Then the worst happens, and we have been noticed, (I hope to god you get noticed, other wise find a new teacher and a new class!!!!!), and the teacher approaches us with the right information to open up and we learn that inevitably......

With out the space we cannot create the change!!!!


We have to adapt, trust ourselves, listen to what is actually going on and take action accordingly.  This stems far beyond our mat and far our into the worlds we live in.  Bridging these gaps of "difference" from our mat to our daily lives allows us to see what our habits are in more than just a physical sense.  On your yoga mat, playing with your space will save your joints from injury, your body from discomfort, and maximize your results.  I had a yoga instructor back home that used to always say "It is when you know your boundaries that you have ultimate freedom", "and to find your boundaries you have to move".  

I have had to accept in these past few days that I unfortunately do not always give myself the space I need.  If I had simply given myself the space to be homesick, to communicate what I was stressed about at work, to sit in the air con or go to the beach I would probably not have blown a gasket when there was something else that I "should" do.  

Now that the gasket has been blown, and a dear sister has left to continue her amazing beautiful journey, my dude has left on a visa run, and I have a beautiful dinner, music, and space I can settle into exactly the things that I need to address.  

It is in this space that we establish ourselves separate from others beliefs or expectations.  It is where we settle into the seat of our soul, our own knowledge about ourselves.  






1 comment:

  1. Play with your yoga mat, you have no idea how stress relieving that is....especially when you get caught by your yoga teacher:-) Missing yaX

    ReplyDelete