Thursday, May 9, 2013

A Trip Outside of Yourself


“He who travels far will often see things,
Far removed from what he believed was truth,
When he talks about it in the fields at home,
He is often accused of lying,
For the obdurate people will not believe,
What they do not see and distinctly feel,
Inexperience, I believe,
Will give little credence to my song”



I went to Mexico, for a month.  We drove down against all advice not too.  We survived and we sustained ourselves for the most part.  When we got to the beach we found a place and pitched our tents, we set up a kitchen area and soaked it all in.  From there we would go to the store and get only what we needed that the cooler could hold for 2 days and let go of the rest.  Our days consisted of spear fishing, surfing, scuba diving, swimming, climbing for coconuts, etc.  It was beautiful and there was only one word to describe it:

Simplicity!


Everyday we went to bed with the sun and rose with the sun, planned our days around the food we were going to eat, surfed, played bochi ball, swam, walked, and read in the hammocks.  And in that space is where I revealed myself to, well, myself.  You can only spend so much time with yourself, and when you have nowhere to go and nothing that has to be done you see a lot of yourself.  I got to very personally step out of every comfort zone I have ever known and play in the abyss that the world really is.  After vegetarianism for a year and being raw for half of that, I ate meat and cooked food for every meal, every day.  I was able to listen to what my body wanted and honor it.  It felt incredible and still does.  But as there is a light side to things, there is too a dark side. 

The shadow crept up behind me, and like a tornado I suddenly found myself in the eye of a storm.  To be honest, I have experienced anxiety and insomnia for much of my life and I expected the beach and the ocean to help with it, to settle my system enough to fully relax.  Then one night there it all was again, no sleep, and nightmares when it did come, and anxiety deep down in my chest.  What could I be anxious about?
 
Well here is what I got out of it….

Anxiety, it is all fear.  It is a feeling that is so strong that it distracts you from everything around you.  So, what was I so afraid of?  I was afraid of myself.  I was afraid of the habits and patterns in my life.  I was afraid to look at and take accountability for every time I have had anxiety or insomnia or fear based thoughts.  I always drove the blame towards an outside source… my childhood, the phase of the moon, the food I ate, my horoscope, my living situation, my past….

But none of those things were present on the beach in La Saladita, Only memories and storylines from my own head.   Leading me to the conclusion that I, and my patterns, are the only constant in this story line of my life.  The accountability goes all to me
Hold on, because I am about to really go places here! 

In the middle of these swirling thoughts about what true accountability was revealing to me I dug deeper and deeper until I could find what it really stemmed from.  I found it, and it hurt, but in the best way that hurt can because it really changed my life  I found this word compassion that every one speaks so highly of and I opened up to it.  The true depth of my discomfort does not need shared, because it is not the moral of the story, and I do at some points believe that some things should be held dear.  The truth of the matter is that we have all these things within US, outside of US and acting upon US.  And that US is the constant.  No matter what it is we always have choice, our reactions are our choice and our power.  BAM!  Self Empowerment!
 
Shortly before I left for Mexico a dear friend shared with me something her mom told her, “The ball is in your court, you just have to realize it”. 

It breaks down to all the simple things in life.  The ball is always in your court and you are always responsible for the things in your life.  If it is an outside influence on you, you can still choose how to react to it.  Maybe this information will empower you for the rest of your life.  I know that it did for me.  I have now seen that whatever I do in life, I have the choice.  If I want something to be different then I can change it.  Sometimes it is work, and sometimes it comes with ease. 

I am inspired more than ever to offer up to the world what I have to give.  I am in the process of creating what I do and what I want to bring and I simply am burning with desire to give it to the world.  It has to do with empowerment and drawing into one’s own sense of self, and if you are curious it will be revealed soon.       
If I had a moral to this story, it would be to take a trip like this, to step into an unknown situation and know that you will be just fine.  I would encourage everyone to challenge their day to day perspective on life and begin to see the things that challenge them in a different way.  I would ask that everyone who reads this article takes a moment to imagine a life where it is all so simple, because it is all within us.  What would the world look like if we all empowered ourselves?  When we are empowered we accept full responsibility and accountability, meaning that we have the potential to see our actions and reactions in the world as a whole. 
We are all powerful people and regardless of what each of us has gone through we have the CHOICE in everything that we do.  You are Empowered!  You are incredible!  You can change every situation to be full of love and growth.  

Article Published 2011, Yoga Connection Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment