Monday, December 15, 2014

Intimacy

Intimacy.

It tends to be reserved for a partner, girlfriend, boyfriend, husband, wife, and immediate family.  But in truth it is attainable with everyone you meet.
I find myself lucky in my work, and I am sure I have talked about this before, but I get the most intimate parts of people.  Their worries, their laughter, their tears, their joys, their vulnerability, their strength.  It comes through as they move, and as I assist their bodies.  When I place my hands on their body as they hold a stretch and I gently put pressure on their muscles to offer the support that is sometimes needed for a release I find intimacy on the way their body gives way to mine, to way my fingers and my hand molds to them.

Every morning when I wake up I consider intimacy and what that will look like in my day and who I cross paths with.  I hope to get to know people deeply, and carefully insert myself into their lives as a source of support, laughter, and joy.  Because it takes a village... not just to raise a child, but to raise ourselves to be better humans.

Most of us are anxious for love, we dream about our marriages at a young age, reserving ourselves for that special someone... yet there are millions of special someones out there and these connections can be made briefly and on the short term.  They come through listening, they come through touch, and gaps in our hearts are bridged when we take these chances to open up.

I was pondering intimacy yesterday as I bent, played, pushed, and pulled on another woman's body in a partner yoga class.  A woman that I have known for years, but could not tell you her favorite food or color, or about marriages or friendships.  But I could tell you about how her body reacts in moments of challenge and strength, how it surrenders in moments of release, and how her breath moves through her.  I could tell you I would miss her presence greatly even though we cross paths only every once and a while. I would tell you that I know her.

The class was filled with couples loving the moments they got to touch and be in the glory of the person they love so deeply, learning one anothers movements and communicating needs for proper use of the others weight.  I love the body for this reason, it is so tangible and so specific of how someone is doing.  You can tell the stress, apprehension, joy and love that person is feeling at the moment by the way the muscles release and give way to resistance and pressure, or stay stiff and tight as they resist letting you in.  You learn to adapt accordingly, whether consciously or sub consciously.  You learn how to be there for someone with out words.  And the more that both parties relax and give way to the other the more profound the efficiency and the function is.



This is my belief, to surrender, yet be certain that our strength, accompanied with the strength of others will win out and support us fully. 

Since losing my mom I have decided I just do not give a fuck about what I lose, meaning that I am more likey to jump heart first into situations, because nothing will amount to the loss of her, and any loss that has happened since has only made more sense and fueled my desire to be better and connect deeper to people.  When I die, I doubt I will care much about the world and its possessions, but I can be certain I will remember those who shared a touch, a heart, a moment or many moments of true intimacy.  And as long as my days consist of that I will be full of joy.  

No comments:

Post a Comment